Baripada Jagannath Temple
Baripada is situated on the bank of river Budhabalanga and is the present headquarters of Mayurbhanj district. There is an old temple, which is popularly known as the temple of Bada Jagannath. It was built by King Baidyanath Bhanja in 1497 Saka era corresponding to 1575 AD. A small inscription in two lines is now found fixed to the upper portion of the right hand boundary wall of the temple indicating the date of construction of this magnificent edifice. The main temple and its Jagamohana and natamandira are all located within a massive Compound, the floor of which is paved with dressed stone slabs. The temple and jagamohana constructed on a high plinth represent rekha and pidha style of Orissan architecture, respectively. On the outer walls of the main temple are noticed the figure of Narasimha, Trivikrama and Varaha worshipped as peripheral deities. The entrance to sanctum is surrounded with figures of Ganesha, Navagraha, Gajalaksmi, Kubera, Bhairava, Ganga, Yamuna, Garuda and Jaina Tirthankaras. Some of them are fixed to the inner walls of the jagamohana. This temple is made of laterite stone with ornamental carvings. It is built in the style of Kakharua Baidyanath temple of Mantri. At present all the monuments including the raised compound walls are covered with lime plaster.