The Ananta vasudev temple is the only significant Vaishnav temple standing in Bhubaneswar with Lord Krishna,Balram and Subhadra being the ruling deities. The 'Parsva-Devatas' are three of the ten incarnations of Vishnu, of which the four-armed "Varahaand Trivikrama", both mutilated, now exist in the south and north niches respectively.
Architecturally it seems like a reduced copy of the Lingaraja temple but the plan of the temple differs significantly from that of the other temples. The main temple stands on a uniform platform and has a three- chambered frontal adjunct consisting of Jagamohana, the Natamandira and the Bhogamandapa.The grouping of the four component parts with their roofs presenting the appearance of ascending peaks culminating in the highest “Mastaka” of the “Deul” at a height of 18.29m is very effective. Though the 'Deul' is 'Pancha-Ratha' on plan, a new feature is introduced in the division of the corner 'Ratha' of the 'Bada' in two equal parts, both on the same plane; the inner one is crowned by a miniature 'Rekha' above the mouldings of the 'veranda'.
In the decoration of the 'Bada', the 'Jagamohana' closely follows the 'Deul'. The 'Dikpalas' and their female counterparts are also depicted here in the 'Khakhara' and 'Pidha-Mundis' of the lower and upper 'Janghas' between the corner and intermediary 'Rathas'. The carvings on the central projections containing a banister window are neatly done. The banisters of the north window have the figures of Rama, Lakshmana, Sita, Hanuman and a monkey-attendant.
The temple was built by Chandrikadevi, the daughter of Ananga- Bhimadev III, in 1278 A.D.